Tuesday 20 January 2009

One orange mocha frappucino to go please

One of the best things about being in a hostel is the wide variety of nationalities surrounding you. At the moment, I've got Germans, French, Irish, British and Aussie in my 'family' and conversations often are made up of random dips into different languages, merging (almost) seamlessly between French, German and the occasional bit of Spanish. We were creating our own versions of Germish (ein poco Spanish) and other mixes of words sentences. Seeing as I've mentioned my 'family' it seems a good moment to write a little more about them here....

Marnie is a lovely German student who has been working in Vancouver and Banff and is returning home in February, Jade is a fun-loving French girl who is on holiday and is practicing her English all the time. Chris is a product designer from Ireland and has got a Canadian passport and has come out here to work and is very laid back and easy-going. Ray is a crazy fun Aussie guy who has been working out in Canada for years and knows loads of useful stuff, Annie, his girlfriend is sadly heading back to the UK for a bit on Friday but hopefully she'll be back very soon. Kevin is from Germany and looking for work and loads of fun as well. My mother and several people are convinced that I'm going to come back with a Canadian accent but I'm not convinced at this rate. It's more likely to be Australian or French!

But in a bid to avoid that (and start earning a tiny bit of money) I've started working at Tim Horton's, which is Canadian coffee mecca. I had one shift yesterday which went well, and all those coffee machines aren't as unworkable and confusing as they look from the customer side of the counter. Everyone was really nice and friendly and reassuring and made me feel quite welcome. And the best bit was walking home after my shift feeling like I'd accomplished something even if it was only not screwing up coffee orders, like I belonged a little more in Canada :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment