Sunday 25 January 2009

Let's Go Marlies!

Last night I completed another Canadian rite of passage and went to my first hockey game, the Toronto Marlies vs Chicago Wolves, a second division match that, due to the fact that the Maple Leafs weren't playing, had a lot more attendance than usual, according to our cab driver. One of us almost didn't make it: no sooner had she stepped out of the car, Jade suddenly realised that she'd forgotten her wallet - and ticket! Fortunately, touting doesn't seem to be subject to the same stringent rules over here so we managed to get her another one cheaply and she got in no problems!

I really enjoyed the match - and I admit that whilst I was looking forward to it, part of me was afraid that it would be a repeat of a Bluejays's baseball match a few years ago, which was less sport and more food and adverts! And whilst this match had a few breaks for adverts and the like, I got the feeling this was also to give the players rest because of the intensity. I didn't realise that hockey was so intense - the players swap round several times during the periods. I also love the clack and clatter sounds of the skates on ice, the sticks hitting the puck and the players smashing into eachother! Once I'd figured out which team was in which kit, I got into it even more! And yes, there was a fight - not a huge one, and to be frank, I think we could have done better, but it was a fight nonetheless, which no real hockey game should be without, no?

We also had Kevin, who plays hockey in Germany, explaining the rules and providing a free running commentary. Which generally consisted of groans and sighs at how bad the quality of play mainly was! He likened it to the way the English football team play - and even I could see where he was coming from - a lot of sending the puck way up the field/pitch/rink? with no one up there to receive it, instead of playing it upfield, rather like the displays we tend to put on at each major international tournament (well aware that I'm leaving myself wide open for protests and comments to prove otherwise here....)

But, in the end, the Marlies won 3-1 so we left happy. Afterwards we headed to a club in Kensington. So after walking 20 mins in minus 20 (or what felt like it) we arrived only to be held outside for no apparent reason by a bouncer that looked like something undead from Lord of the Rings. We waited possibly 5 mins and then went elsewhere for a bit! Danced away for a bit, cold walk home via McDonald's of all places, and then the usual tea and sofas in the hostel for a bit before bed.

Something else that really made me laugh yesterday: Marnie, Kevin and I went to St Lawrence market - this huge indoor market with loads of nice food stalls, and we were at a British cheese stand (hunk of cheddar for $14 anyone? No, didn't think so) and Kevin, spying Carr's water biscuits, said with much gusto and glee, "oooh this always reminds me of the Wallit and Gromice!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment