Wednesday 28 January 2009

La vie en blanc

My first hit from the food thieves last night. Almost an entire carton of milk gone. Grrrr. Not a happy bunny, I was last night when my cornflakes were dry and had to empty several of those tiny milk portions at the tea station onto them.

A few random thoughts and facts for this post, it'll be a bit bitty and unconnected but, hey.

Firstly: Toronto, in 1600, was a trading post used by different tribes of Indians, namely the Huron and the Iroquois, and it was originally called Teiaiagon. Because of it's location, it was the hub for 3 portages from Georgian Bay and the lakes to the Mississippi and so became a permanent settlement, called Toronto, The Carrying Place. (Toronto because it was at the southern end of le passage de Toronto.) It strikes me as really apt that it's now one of the most multi-cultural cities as it seems that it was a busy, mixing place all those years ago.

Secondly: I learnt a cool word for my tennis German vocab: abwechslungsreich. Meaning rich in variety, to be used when describing Federer's game at it's peak. Ironically, we actually used it when watching the Roddick/Djokovic match, to describe Novak's game technique and opine on what Roddick's seemed to be lacking...who then went on to win.

Thirdly: the power of the photoshop airbrush. I was in a bookstore yesterday and some busty female wrestler (famous in Canada I think) was doing a book/magazine signing. The difference between her on the front cover of the magazine and her in real life was astounding. On the cover she could have been, 25-29, real life I'd say definitely 35. So girls, it really is true what they say.

Fourthly: Amish people in the US don't pay taxes. So there's a potential little loophole to investigate if things ever get desperate in the credit crunch.

It is properly, properly snowing right now! Very exciting although makes our day trip plans seem a little more of an adventure but I think we're still going to find this damn Cherry Beach place because none of us want to be stuck indoors. Cherry Beach has proved illusive on several attempts by several people. And no, Q, we are not getting a taxi, it must be done under our own steam!

Ok, so next part of the plan for those of you interested. Montreal on the 7th Feb with Jade to meet up with Marnie who sadly left us yesterday for the bright lights of NYC. And then I'm heading West to Vancouver and any skiing that I might find. Kevin is probably heading there around the 7th and there's another girl from the hostel too who is making her way over so there should be a couple of people around when I get there, plus a few contacts that my new Canadian friend Sarah has promised to put me in touch with. And then an envoi from the UK arrives mid March... :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment