Wednesday 25 November 2009

And then there was one.

Well, the poutine with the girls didn't happen. Pancakes did, though, in a proper back country town diner en route (very scenically) from Ottawa to Toronto on Saturday morning.

So, back in the big T, we settled into our hotel room, had some dinner and then set off on Sunday morning for Niagara. A short drive later, we were looking over the pretty spectacular falls, and getting very wet from the spray in the process. I discovered that instead of my camera I'd got deodorant in my bag(??!!) but it didn't matter as Hannah was taking about three photos each from every conceivable angle, so there should be some to spare. They are very impressive. I felt slightly worried that I was losing my sense of wonder at the world: I'd seen them before, and have since seen Victoria Falls, which are a) WAY better (sorry, Canada) and b) devoid of all the touristy crap that surrounds these ones. But it was good to be around the girls and their enthusiasm definitely rubbed off on me, in a very welcome way.

We weren't long there. In the off season, most of the affiliated attractions aren't running so once you've seen them, there's not much else to do. Even Starbucks only had minimal staff. And we had a hockey match to get to: Toronto Marlies vs Lake Erie Monsters. So back we drove to the Ricoh Coliseum to buy tickets, hot dogs and, most importantly, a big foam finger for Han. Explaining the rules of game was a little like the blind leading the blind, but a good time was had by all, judging by the exclamations and finger waves coming from next to me! Although I was proudly wearing my Canucks top, our team won, in a shootout so we got to see maximum hockey for our dosh. After a "quick" trip to the airport to return our faithful vehicle we returned to the hotel, quite pooped, but satisfied that we'd made the most of our day.

Time for another quick NY-style roundup...:

CN Tower: went up at night. Great for view with all the city lights on. Our mission was to have cocktails up there. The bar was shut, so we were directed to the 360 restaurant where they very kindly they let us just order drinks. Unfortunately, it was the one drink each. Because the CN tower boasts the tallest observation deck in the world, it also needs the most expensive prices to go up it, of course, which rather limited the drinking budget. Ho hum. Good cocktails though - quality not quantity, n'est ce pas?

Toronto Islands: This was especially fun. We took a water taxi over and wandered round the tiny islands just into the harbour. We found a beautiful deserted beach, adorable, quaint houses and idyllic, sleepy village life (no cafes or shops open), and a very quirky but sweet old woman who talked with us on the beach for much longer than I think any of us anticipated, or possibly, felt like, given the wind conditions...

We also touched on Kensington Markets, shops and the cinema, which is a great solution for a rainy afternoon when you're not feeling up to much or spending a small fortune on art galleries. Am ever more appreciative of London's free museums.

The girls left today, but not after we had a manicure in the hotel spa. Very relaxing and nice to have lovely nails once more, but I have managed to smudge my varnish not two hours after it was applied. Expected, and somewhat surprised it wasn't sooner, to be honest. Sigh.

So now I am back in Canadiana for two nights before checking into the Fairmont for one indulgent evening. Because I'm moving my flight forward about a week I thought I'd treat myself to that - allowed because I won't be staying for as long and spending money that way! Very much looking forward to my own space. Although, I'm totally comfortable being here on my own and not feeling the need to rush out and make friends - it's a great confidence boost, to be cool with your own company amidst others. It's also great fun listening in to people's conversations about where they've been, or how they're settling in to this new country they are in!

Time will pass quickly, I'm sure. Loose ends need tieing/tying/tyeing - which one is it?!?!?! A bit of contemplation is in order, reflection on the year, reflection on what to do next...all suggestions welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment